VIBRANCY. HARMONY. LIGHT-HEARTED. COURAGEOUS. FEMININE.
Those are my Core Desired Feelings. What are yours?
This post is about something that I’m super stoked about. I’ve recently read the book The Firestarter Sessions by Danielle Laporte. Let me tell you, she’s one kickass lady! The book is a “soulful & practical guide to creating true success on your own terms”. There are 16 sessions that progressively and gently dig a little deeper asking you to really take a look at yourself and how you have shown up in the world and how you want to continue to show up. A little scary at first, but well worth the shake-up! For me this journey to self-discovery is relatively new. I find it so energizing some days, yet sometimes so exhausting the next. But one of the many reasons I love this book is because it meets you where you’re at. Danielle Laporte has an amazing way of asking those juicy, soul-shaking, goose bump inducing questions, while allowing space for compassion while you become better acquainted with your true beautiful self.
Today I’m super excited to share with you one of my favourite exercises from the book: Defining your Core Desired Feelings.
It’s so simple: First, get clear on how you want to feel. Then, do stuff that makes you feel that way. Easy, right?
So many of our goals and aspirations are based on materialistic things outside of ourselves. But when we really stop to think about it, all of those aspirations are being driven by a desire to feel a certain way. Connected, abundant, radiant, energized, joyful, SEXY, playful….
Imagine this, for years your goal has been to be promoted to President and own a 3-garage home. But when you really think about it, to be the President you’ll have to work 80-hour workweeks, you’ll never be at home, and you’re mortgage poor. How might that make you feel? Exhausted, disconnected, over-worked, tired, scared?
I loved this quote from the book: “When you’re rooted in your core desired feelings, it feels safe to open your heart. You become more focused on how new situations make you feel, rather than how they appear on the surface”.
Your goals may or may not change, but what will change is how you feel while achieving those goals. So the next time a new job, a new friend, a lover, or any other opportunity presents itself that may not look like how you envisioned it, before your dismiss it, ask yourself: how does it make you feel? Feelings don’t lie.
So, how do YOU want to FEEL?
- Give yourself five uninterrupted minutes. Write down the most positive, energizing, ear-to-ear smile inducing feelings that come to mind, don’t hold back…write down anything! It seems like a long time but once the juices get flowing you’re not going to want to stop writing! For inspiration click here
- Now read over your list a few times, take some time to let it sink in. Then see what jumps out at you. Now circle those words.
- Write each circled word on its own sticky note and put them somewhere that you’ll see them every day. You’ll likely start to see how beautiful, classy, and elegant, for example are summed up with one word: graceful. Each day toss the sticky notes that don’t make the cut.
- Within a few days you should be down to ideally 3-5 words. These are your CORE DESIRED FEELINGS! Like goals, they will evolve as you grow and learn, so just keep tweaking them as you change your mind. Don’t be too attached to them.
- Take it one step further: List three things you will do this week to generate these feelings.
Comment below with your first list of your Core Desired Feelings, I’d love to hear them!
Until next time, eat real food and move your body.