Do you ever get to the bottom of your bowl of oatmeal only wishing you had more?
Do you ever think about ways to add more vegetables into your day?
Well, this trick satisfies both!
I always like to tweak recipes to make them more satisfying but still healthy. After experimenting with adding zucchini to my oats with little satisfaction I wondered what other vegetable would yield a grain-like consistency like oatmeal.
Cauliflower, that’s what!
Since cauliflower is a go-to item in place of rice and other grains in the paleo community I figured it should do the trick since it is a rather hard, fibrous vegetable that has a mild taste when used with other ingredients. Cauliflower rice also packs only 35 calories per cup in comparison to 360 calories per cup of raw oats. That makes this addition a great way to add some bulk and nutrients to your oatmeal without adding too many calories.
When adding riced cauliflower to your oatmeal, start with a small amount then slowly increase the veggie content depending on your own preferences.
My Cauliflower Oats Recipe:
- 1/3 Cup Gluten Free oats
- 2/3 Cup riced cauliflower
- 1/2 Banana
- 1/2-1 Cup milk of choice
- 1 tbsp or so of cocoa powder or protein powder.
- Pinch of Salt
- Mash banana with a fork and set aside.
- Cut and wash cauliflower florets and finely chop into rice sized bits with food processor.
- Add rolled oats and cauliflower rice to banana.
- Add milk of choice, salt and cocoa or protein powder.
- Mix and microwave for 1 minutes, mix then microwave for another 30-60 seconds.
- Enjoy with your favourite toppings!
Like this recipe? Comment below and let me know what else I can help you with.